Actors and Playwrights
Devised Theatre Project
Updated November 23, 2016
Devising is loosely defined as the process of collaboratively creating a new work without a pre-existing script wherein the collaborators are also the performers. Learn more at the national site:
How to Apply: Choose Option A or Option B
Option A. Individual Participation
Individuals may register to participate in the creation of a devised piece on site. No nomination is required. Registration is limited to the first 18 people who submit.
DEVISED THEATRE PROJECT INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPATION FORM
Submit this online form.
Form Due January 6, 2017, or until 18 slots are filled.
Option B. Entry Registration
Devise a piece from your school using the prompt listed and bring it to festival to present. No nomination is required. Registration is limited to the first 5 entries. Choose one individual to represent the group for contact purposes.
DEVISED THEATRE PROJECT ENTRY REGISTRATION FORM
Submit this online form.
Form Due January 6, 2017, or until 5 slots are filled.
KCACTF NATIONAL DEVISED THEATRE PROJECT
- Approximately 16'X16' playing space, ensemble must consider audience placement & interaction
- Ensemble-generated lighting [...wall sockets provided, ensemble brings everything else]
- 20 minute time limit which must include set-up, performance and strike
- Suggested 5 minute set up
- Suggested 12 minute piece
- Suggested 3 minute strike
- Set up and strike can be part of the performance
- Company size – no more than nine members
- Contributions of the performing ensemble are to be balanced and evenly distributed
- Not every member of the ensemble must perform, but the majority should
- Faculty advisors may provide outside-eye feedback, but students should drive the work
- No live flame
- No smoking
The 2017 Prompt:
TITLE: On this day, I find courage to serve justice.
- Ensemble will select their sources of inspiration as their creative container (examples: a photograph, a poem, a fictional or non-fictional short story, a memory, interviews, a question, etc.). Ensemble will be asked to clearly articulate how their sources informed process and product, form and content.
- Each ensemble will create a unique performance vocabulary informed by their source materials. This vocabulary should include movement, voice, visual image, sonic landscape, text and scenic environment and communicate the piece's style and aesthetic.
- Ensemble should consider time restraints and travel considerations. These parameters are designed to form a creative container to spark your imaginations and deepen your exploration.