Devised Theatre is a process in which the whole creative team develops the show collaboratively.
HOW TO APPLY
Companies may decide to present their work live at festival, or to share a recorded version. Since the festival will be back in person, companies who record should be purposeful in their choice to use this other medium.
Companies should adhere to the 2021-2022 Devising Health & Safety Protocols & Guidelines.
Submissions will have a 20 minute time limit which must include set-up, performance and strike
- Set up and strike can be part of the performance
- Contributions of the ensemble are to be balanced and evenly distributed.
- Not every member of the ensemble must perform, but the majority should.
- Faculty advisors may provide outside-eye feedback, but students should drive the work
- (No live flame, no smoking, and no functional weapons)
- Each showing will be given a short response from regional faculty and/or devising guest artists. Each deviser will be expected to speak articulately about their work, displaying rigor of process and responsibility for form and content.
- Devising isn’t an aesthetic; it’s a process. This approach to creating new work includes multiple aesthetics, production value spectrums, and performance styles.
- Registration will begin on November 1, 2021. To participate students will follow the online registration form found on the Region III website.
- Deadline for submission – December 14th
- Schools may enter multiple groups for the devising project.
TITLE: **COMING SOON**
Ensemblewill select their sources of inspiration as their creative container (examples: a photograph, a poem, a fictional or non-fictional short story, a memory, interviews, a question, etc.). Ensemblewill be asked to clearly articulate how their sources informed process and product, form and content.
- Each ensemble will create a unique performance vocabulary informed by their source materials. This vocabulary should include movement, voice, visual image, sonic landscape, text and scenic environment and communicate the piece’s style and aesthetic.
- Ensemble should consider time restraints and travel considerations. These parameters are designed to form a creative container to spark your imaginations and deepen your exploration.
Devised Theatre Co-Coordinator
Ball State University
Associate Professor of Acting and Movement
Department of Theatre and Dance
Arts and Communications, Room AC 306
Muncie, IN 47306
NPP Co-Vice Chair, Devised Co-Coordinator
Lecturer of Movement
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts